Thursday, October 11, 2018

ThrowBACKLIST Thursday: THE CAPTAIN'S WIFE

Only Vivian knows the truth.
Vivian is the new wife of respected Captain Randolph Carlyle, but when Randolph dies at sea, only she lives with the truth. No one else knows that his last words to her were an angry indictment of her secret past life-not his brother, not his servants, and certainly not his best friend, Conner Jackson. So when Vivian calmly accepts the news that her husband's will had not been updated to include her, those who care about her are puzzled by her easy acceptance. Vivian is convinced she has received God's forgiveness for her past behavior, but as she and Conner are drawn to each other, she fears that, like her late husband, Conner will reject her if he ever learns of her past. Will her secret remain safe, or will its existence threaten the love she seeks?

I wrote this novel as book 2 in my historical Washington State series. When I set out to create this series set in historical Washington State, I chose three different places in the state I either lived or visited, and that I found interesting and/or fascinating.

So for book 2, I wanted to explore an enchanting place from my youth. I lived in Port Townsend for three years in elementary school and loved it there, so of course I wanted to set a book there. There are so many enthralling places there, and it's rich with varied and sometimes quirky history. I obvious couldn't put everything in one story, or there wouldn't be room for the romance. A year ago, I, along with my sisters and Mom, visited Port Townsend, and I fell in love with it all over again.

Since Port Townsend is a port town, I wanted the sea to play a part in this story, and a captain's wife seemed natural. I moved Conner from book 1 and Seattle across the Puget Sound to the Olympic Peninsula to Port Townsend.

One of my favorite parts of this story is when one of the side characters went off script. She was a friend from Vivian's past, and I had a whole speech for her to give Conner a piece of her mind. This was a pivotal scene. Pretty much the whole reason for bringing her into the story was for this very scene. Her words were going to make Conner reconsider everything. The romance wouldn't happen without her speech.

This lady walked into Conner's store, introduced herself, handed him something, and left. I called out to her, urging her to come back and deliver the speech I had planned. "Come back! Where are you going?" She didn't listen. Both Conner and I were dumbfounded, staring at the closed door she'd left through. Now what were we supposed to do? We stared at the item she'd given him. I don't want to spoil the story by tell ing you what it was, but Conner and I had to figure a new way to the end of the story--without my lovely speech. I had to throw up my hand and said, "Conner, she gave it to you. You have to figure it out."

I love it when characters become so real that they speak for themselves, and I’m just madly trying to type as fast as they talk in my head. They surprise me with what they say and do. 

Like Vivian and Conner, I too have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. I try hard to never have a rock in my hand intended for another. When I find I do, I try to drop it as quickly as I can.


Besides the THE CAPTAIN’S WIFE being sold by itself, all three of these historical Washington State stories are in a single volume titled CASCADES. Next month in my ThrowBACKLIST Thursday, I’ll highlight the third book in this series, RECKLESS ROGUE. If you missed last month's ThrowBACKLIST Thursday, I interviewed one of my sisters about book 1 in this series, UNCERTAIN ALLIANCE.

HAPPY READING!
=0)




NEW!
THE WIDOW'S PLIGHT ~ A sweet historical romance that will tug at your heart. This is book 1 in the Quilting Circle series.
Washington State, 1893
     When Lily Lexington Bremmer arrives in Kamola with her young son, she’s reluctant to join the social center of her new community, the quilting circle, but the friendly ladies pull her in. She begins piecing a sunshine and shadows quilt because it mirrors her life. She has a secret that lurks in the shadows and hopes it doesn’t come out into the light. Dark places in her past are best forgotten, but her new life is full of sunshine. Will her secrets cast shadows on her bright future?
     Widower Edric Hammond and his father are doing their best to raise his two young daughters. He meets Lily and her son when they arrive in town and helps her find a job and a place to live. Lily resists Edric’s charms at first but finds herself falling in love with this kind, gentle man and his two darling daughters. Lily has stolen his heart with her first warm smile, but he’s cautious about bringing another woman into his girls’ lives due to the harshness of their own mother.
     Can Edric forgive Lily her past to take hold of a promising chance at love?

THE WIDOW'S PLIGHT is now available in ebook and paperback.


COURTING HER SECRET HEART

A Prodigal Daughters story, Book 2

Caught between two worlds…Deborah Miller lives a double life as an Amish woman—and a fashion model! All photography is forbidden in her Plain community, so she must keep her job a secret. But when Amos Burkholder starts helping at her family’s farm, hiding the truth from him is impossible. And soon she must choose between the Englisher world of modeling and the Amish man she’s come to love.

Book 3 in the Prodigal Daughters series is due to release January 2019, COURTING HER PRODIGAL HEART

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January, Courting Her Amish Heart in March, The Widow’s Plight in July, Courting Her Secret Heart September, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-four years and two cats. She has three adult children and two incredibly adorable grandchildren. Find her online at:

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...