Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Wordy Wednesday: BROBDINGNAGIAN


After choosing such a little word last week, I thought I’d contemplate a whopper this week.

BROBDINGNAGIAN is a mouthful!
(adjective)
~Gigantic, huge, immense
(noun)
~A giant

See I told you it was a whopper.

BROBDINGNAG is the name Swift gave to the land where everything was so huge in Gulliver’s Travels. So a BROBDINGNAGIAN is a person from said place.

Even on my tippy-toes I could never be mistaken for anything close to a BROBDINGNAGIAN. When asked how tall I am, I respond with “Five-three, on a tall day.” Some days not so much. But this isn’t quite true. It’s not the day but the time of day that matters.

Have you ever measured your height and had it different on different days?

When you get out of bed in the morning, your spine is rested and at its maximum length. This is called your “morning height.” Just before you climb into bed, your spine has absorbed vibrations throughout the day, so it’s at its minimum length. This is called your “night height.” So if you want to be taller, measure your height first thing in the morning.

So my answer to “How tall are you?” should be “Five-three—in the morning.”

As we age, we shrink as well, so the older I get, the shorter I become. This may bother BROBDINGNAGIANS, but it doesn’t me. I’m short and happy with it. =0)

BROBDINGNAGIAN is not a word I’ll likely ever be able to work into a story. It’s just too unique of a word, much like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

=0)



NEW RELEASES
“Holly & Ivy,”my #HistoricalRomance novella in A BOUQUET OF BRIDES COLLECTION, takes place in 1890, in Washington State. It’s about a young woman who accompanies her impetuous younger sister on her trip across the country to be a Christmas mail-order bride and is helped by a gallant stranger.  #BouquetOfBrides
COURTING HER AMISH HEART is a contemporary romance, the first in the Prodigal Daughters series.
A doctor or an Amish wife? She can choose to be only one…Kathleen Yoder comes home after fourteen years in the Englisher world. Practicing medicine means sacrifice—no Amish man will want a doctor for a wife. Widowed Noah Lambright offers a cottage as her new clinic, seeing how much Kathleen’s skills can help their community. But as their friendship deepens, could love and family become more than a forbidden dream?
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January, Courting Her Amish Heart in March, The Widow’s Plight in July, Courting Her Secret Heart September, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub




No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...