Thursday, July 26, 2018

ThrowBACKLIST Thursday: CINDA'S SURPRISE

I actually drew a rough sketch of
this cover and they used my idea.
 Cinda Harris tells herself she is content to be single. But her well-intentioned friends set her up as a mail-order bride. She knows nothing of the engagement until the day her groom, Lucas Rawlings, shows up to seal their agreement with wedding vows. Believing it is God's will for her life, she marries the handsome stranger. Lucas proves to be a gentle and kind man, and Cinda finds herself falling in love with her new husband. Upon arriving at his Montana farm, however, she finds out his real intentions for wanting a wife. Her new life is full of surprises, not all of them good.

I always wanted to write a mail-order bride story. This concept and story idea rolled around in the back of my mind for months and months before it came to fruition. I didn’t want to write the typical story of a woman corresponding on her own behalf to be a mail-order bride, whether it was for love, adventure, fleeing a bad situation, or whatever the reason. I thought it would be fun if she was an unwitting mail-order bride. So I had her well-intentioned friends offer her up as a bride.

When I wrote CINDA’S SURPRISE, it was a stand alone. This was early in my writing, and I had only the one story in mind around these characters. Until I met the other people later in the story, then I could see the stories for many of the other characters. Book two in this series was published, but not three-five (or six or seven or…). My brain started spinning with stories for all sorts of side characters. So far, only CINDA’S SURPRISE and MARTY’S RIDE have been published.

Though I have stories three, four, and five written in novella form, I’m not sure if after all these years, if I’m going to try to find a publisher for them, or self-publish them. CINDA’S SURPRISE originally released in 2000.


I hope readers will see that though Cinda didn’t set out to be a bride by mail, she could see God’s hand in the events.

CINDA’S SURPRISE, book 1 in my Rawlings Family series, still holds a special place in my heart. I still love this tender story of unexpected love.

CINDA’S SURPRISE was rereleased in a five story collection in 2013 in MAIL-ORDER MARRIAGE: 5 Historical Stories of Marriage Arranged by Letters Between Strangers







NEW!
THE WIDOW'S PLIGHT ~ A sweet historical romance that will tug at your heart. This is book 1 in the Quilting Circle series.
Washington State, 1893
     When Lily Lexington Bremmer arrives in Kamola with her young son, she’s reluctant to join the social center of her new community, the quilting circle, but the friendly ladies pull her in. She begins piecing a sunshine and shadows quilt because it mirrors her life. She has a secret that lurks in the shadows and hopes it doesn’t come out into the light. Dark places in her past are best forgotten, but her new life is full of sunshine. Will her secrets cast shadows on her bright future?
     Widower Edric Hammond and his father are doing their best to raise his two young daughters. He meets Lily and her son when they arrive in town and helps her find a job and a place to live. Lily resists Edric’s charms at first but finds herself falling in love with this kind, gentle man and his two darling daughters. Lily has stolen his heart with her first warm smile, but he’s cautious about bringing another woman into his girls’ lives due to the harshness of their own mother.
     Can Edric forgive Lily her past to take hold of a promising chance at love?

THE WIDOW'S PLIGHT is now available in ebook and paperback.

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January, Courting Her Amish Heart in March, The Widow’s Plight in July, Courting Her Secret Heart September, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...