Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Tuesday Tidbits: GOING TO CAMP! SORTA?


It’s that time of year when people go to camp and/or go camping.

I’m excited to say that I’m going to camp this summer in July! I never had the opportunity to go to camp as a child, except for that one time in sixth grade when the whole sixth grade went for a few day as part of the curriculum. I did go camping with my family a lot when I was young and backpacking with my dad. I’ve also gone on church and writing retreats, which are a little like going to camp.

But the camp I’m going to this summer is different from all of those. It’s Camp NaNoWriMo!



It’s a virtual camp that I’ll be attending to make progress on my current writing project, The Damsel’s Intent, book 3 in my Quilting Circle series. Each November, hundreds of thousands of writers participate in NaNoWriMo (NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth) by aiming to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Seems daunting, but is achievable. I have won several times. It’s a great feeling.

“Wait a minute, Mary. You said you were doing this in July. July isn’t November. Not even any of the same letters in the two words.”

Throughout the year—when it’s not November—NaNoWriMo isn’t sleeping or off on vacation. They put on events a lot of months of the year if not all months, from revision months to script writing months to camp months. April and July are designated Camp NaNoWriMo months.

Camp is super loosey-goosey. A participant can set whatever goal they want, big or small. Not just fiction and words goals, but page or hour goals, nonfiction, revision, poetry, script writing, etc.

And there are cabins. A participant can create a private cabin and invite their friends, or choose to join a public cabin and make new friends. I created a private one called the Plucky Purple Pixies. So far we are just three. I’ve set a 10,000 word goal, another has set a page goal, and another an hour goal. We can leave messages and encouragement on our cabin message board.



I find that if I tell someone my goal and need to check in and record my progress, I’m much more likely to achieve that goal or at least write more than if no one would know if I made any progress or not. I find it easy for me to get discouraged at not having writing as much as I had hoped to and give up for the day. But if I know I need to tell someone I wrote zero words for the past week, I’m more likely to write a handful of words, just so I don’t have zeros. And other times, the words flow and I don’t need any outside encouragement or prodding.

The great thing about this camp is there are no mosquitoes, no bears or skunks wandering into our cabin, no being woken at 3 AM because a fellow cabin mate screamed having a bad dream, no shaving cream put in your hand when you’re asleep and having your nose tickled so you splat the shaving cream all-over your face, and no calories in the virtual s’mores! And I get to sleep in my own comfy bed. The only critter wandering in there will be my cats.



NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo are free to join and free to participate in. This kind of thing isn’t for everyone, but for those who like a little bit of structure, NaNoWriMo might be helpful or just fun. Camp NaNoWriMo is a great introduction to the NaNoWriMo process.

So I’ll be at camp next month and having fun. As July progresses, I’ll try to remember to leave Camp updates at the end of my posts for those who are interested.

NEW!
THIMBLES AND THREADS: 4 Love Stories Are Quilted Into Broken Lives
Love Stitched into Four Women’s Lives
Enjoy four historical romances that celebrate the arts of sewing and quilting. When four women put needle and thread to fabric, will their talents lead to love? #thimblesandthreadscollection
Click HERE to order yours today.
#thimblesandthreadscollection
“Bygones” by Mary Davis
Texas, 1884
Drawn to the new orphan boy in town, Tilly Rockford soon became the unfortunate victim of a lot of Orion Dunbar’s mischievous deeds in school. Can Tilly figure out how to truly forgive the one who made her childhood unbearable? Now she doesn’t even know she holds his heart. Can this deviant orphan-train boy turned man make up for the misdeeds of his youth and win Tilly’s heart before another man steals her away?
Other stories in this collection:

“The Bridal Shop” by Grace Hitchcock, “Mending Sarah’s Heart” by Suzanne Norquist, and “Binding Up Wounds” by Liz Tolsma

THE DAUGHTER'S PREDICAMENT (Book 2 in the Quilting Circle series)
FREE Preview
Can a patient love win her heart?
   As Isabelle Atwood’s romance prospects are turning in her favor, a family scandal derails her dreams. While making a quilt for her own hope chest, Isabelle’s half-sister becomes pregnant out of wedlock and Isabelle--always the unfavored daughter--becomes the family sacrifice to save face. Despite gaining the attention of a handsome rancher, her parents are pressuring her to marry a man of their choosing to rescue her sister’s reputation. A third suitor waits silently in the wings, hoping for his own chance at love. Isabelle ends up with three marriage proposals, but this only further confuses her decision.
   A handsome rancher, a stranger, and an unseen suitor are all waiting for an answer.  Isabelle loves her sister, but will she really allow herself to be manipulated into a marriage without love? Will Isabelle capitulate and marry the man her parents wish her to, or will she rebel and marry the man they don’t approve of? Or will the man leaving her secret love poems sweep her off her feet?


5 books of Old West Christian Romance (4 novels and 4 novellas) by 7 bestselling, award-winning authors, including my book, The Widow’s Plight. You'll love these 8 unique stories of love! Get it here: https://amzn.to/2VzRBoI
#HeartbeatsInTimeSet
FREE Preview
The Widow’s Plight (Book 1 in the Quilting Circle series) by Mary Davis
A single mother steps out of the shadows of abuse and into the sunshine. But will a secret clouding her past cost her the man she loves?
Finding Love In Last Chance, California by Miralee Ferrell
Dreams of My Heart by Barbara Scott
Hills of Nevermore by Janalyn Voigt
Heart of a Cowboy Novella Collection--four Old West romances by Susan Page Davis, Miralee Ferrell, Yvonne Lehman, and Vickie McDonough
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS s a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. Her 2018 titles include; "Holly and Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection (January), Courting Her Amish Heart (March), The Widow’s Plight (July), Courting Her Secret Heart (September), “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in The MISSAdventure Brides Collection (December), and Courting Her Prodigal Heart (January 2019). Coming in 2019, The Daughter's Predicament (May) and "Bygones" in Thimbles and Threads (July). She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-four years and two cats. She has three adult children and two incredibly adorable grandchildren. Find her online at:

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...