Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Tuesday Tidbits: 2020 GOAL SETTING


A lot of people set New Year’s Resolutions. I don’t. I thought about it once, but decided not to. I figured I probably wasn’t going to keep them so why set myself up for failure. To me, it seems like the idea of these resolutions is a recipe for failure, or rather, people go into setting these resolutions and their subconscious sabotages them. “Go ahead. Make resolutions. We both know you’re not going to keep them.” 

Instead, I set yearly writing goals and have done so for many years now. I encourage other writers to set them as well.

Though similar, I feel the intent of goals and resolutions is different. For me, a resolution seemed more like a wish. Throw it out there and hope it comes true, but more likely I’ll forget about it. This probably isn’t the case for others. But I hear a lot of people say that they didn’t stick with their resolutions. And it’s only January 10th!

Goals, on the other hand, have structure and intent. They aren’t thrown out there but kept close so I can focus on them. They are almost tangible and feel more real. For me, they have a plan attached with them.

Maybe the word “goals” is intimidating. Another option is to call it a “2020 CHECKLIST.”

I have 3 criteria for setting goals (resolutions, checklist—or whatever you prefer to call it).


ACHIEVABLE (Realistic) = Achievable for the individual setting them. An unrealistic (not likely achievable) goal would be to say, “I will write 12 novels this year,” when that person has a full-time job, are homeschooling 6 kids, and planning a mega family reunion trip. What is achievable and realistic for one person isn’t for another. Goals should not be compared with anyone else’s.


MEASURABLE = If a goal can’t be measured, it doesn’t count. Poorly worded goal: “I will write more.” More than what? (That sounds more like a resolution.) Be specific. Instead say, “I will complete XYZ novel.” “Or I will write an average of 1000 words a week/month.” Those can be measured.

CONTROL = Goals should be within the person’s control. Don’t say, “I will get an agent.” I have no control over that. What if I don’t? Then I feel like I failed. But if I say, “I will send out one proposal a month until I hook an agent.” That I have control over, and I can succeed at.

I know my examples are all writing related, because those are the ones I set and encourage other writers to do the same. Also, if I give examples for too many areas, this post would go on forever.

State goals in I will statements. Set some easy goals as well as a few challenging ones. (Here are some non-writing goals examples.)

I will volunteer 4 hours a week at the local cat shelter.
I will write 5 days a week, 100-1000 words.
I will walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes.
I will read 6 books on the craft of writing.
I will sort through 1 box from storage each week.
I will mend 1 article of clothing each week.
I will make 1 new recipe for my family each a month.
I will practice piano for 30 minutes 4 days a week.
I will go to bed (or get up) at X-time 5 days a week.
I will weed the garden once a week May through September, except during vacation.


~ Other types of goals could be family, spiritual, friends, job, health, etc.
~~ It is perfectly all right—and I encourage it—to set goals that are already on your schedule and you will be meeting anyway. For me, it could be to write or edit a book already contracted.
~~~ Each goal should be followed by “or something better” either written or understood.
~~~~ Once a goal is met, check it off, or put a smiley face or sticker by it. And I like to reward myself once the goal is met, like getting to do something fun or buy myself something small.

Goals can be a little fluid. Let’s say I set this goal, “I will write two 30,000 word novellas in 2020, or something better.” Then let’s say, I get a contract to write an 80,000 word novel. That novel would be the “Something Better.” So the novel is in place of the 2 novellas. Also, leeway needs to be given for the unexpected. Maybe a family crisis or sudden wedding prevents the garden from getting weeded for two months. One thing takes the place of the other.

I like to either print out or hand write out my goals and put them up where I can see them daily. It keeps them on my mind throughout the day and the year. It reminds my subconscious to be making room for them and working on some goals in the background while I’m doing other things. My subconscious can be mulling over the plot of a story while I’m driving or working on a craft project or even while watching TV.

I get my calendars at Dollar Tree.

Once you have your goals, create a way to track them so you can see your success. I use a physical calendar to track how many words I write. 
I jot down the number of words I wrote or pages I edited that day. It’s easy to add up all those words, not only for a single month, but for the whole year. At the end of the year, I might feel like I didn’t accomplish anything, but if I add up the numbers, the numbers don’t lie.



Use whatever method of goal tracking that works for you; physical calendar, virtual calendar, journal, etc.

Also, it helps me a lot to focus on times I did accomplish a specific goal, and not the times I didn’t. Because reaching a goal a few times is better than not at all.


Happy 2020!

THIMBLES AND THREADS: 4 Love Stories Are Quilted Into Broken Lives

Love Stitched into Four Women’s Lives
Enjoy four historical romances that celebrate the arts of sewing and quilting. When four women put needle and thread to fabric, will their talents lead to love? #thimblesandthreadscollection
Click HERE to order yours today.
FREE Preview
#thimblesandthreadscollection
“Bygones” by Mary Davis
Texas, 1884
Drawn to the new orphan boy in town, Tilly Rockford soon became the unfortunate victim of a lot of Orion Dunbar’s mischievous deeds in school. Can Tilly figure out how to truly forgive the one who made her childhood unbearable? Now she doesn’t even know she holds his heart. Can this deviant orphan-train boy turned man make up for the misdeeds of his youth and win Tilly’s heart before another man steals her away?

Other stories in this collection:
“The Bridal Shop” by Grace Hitchcock, “Mending Sarah’s Heart” by Suzanne Norquist, and “Binding Up Wounds” by Liz Tolsma


THE DAUGHTER'S PREDICAMENT (Book 2 in the Quilting Circle series)
FREE Preview
Can a patient love win her heart?

As Isabelle Atwood’s romance prospects are turning in her favor, a family scandal derails her dreams. While making a quilt for her own hope chest, Isabelle’s half-sister becomes pregnant out of wedlock and Isabelle--always the unfavored daughter--becomes the family sacrifice to save face. Despite gaining the attention of a handsome rancher, her parents are pressuring her to marry a man of their choosing to rescue her sister’s reputation. A third suitor waits silently in the wings, hoping for his own chance at love. Isabelle ends up with three marriage proposals, but this only further confuses her decision.


A handsome rancher, a stranger, and an unseen suitor are all waiting for an answer.  Isabelle loves her sister, but will she really allow herself to be manipulated into a marriage without love? Will Isabelle capitulate and marry the man her parents wish her to, or will she rebel and marry the man they don’t approve of? Or will the man leaving her secret love poems sweep her off her feet?

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS s a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. Her 2018 titles include; "Holly and Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection (January), Courting Her Amish Heart (March), The Widow’s Plight (July), Courting Her Secret Heart (September), “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in The MISSAdventure Brides Collection (December), and Courting Her Prodigal Heart (January 2019). Coming in 2019, The Daughter's Predicament (May) and "Bygones" in Thimbles and Threads (July). She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-four years and two cats. She has three adult children and two incredibly adorable grandchildren. Find her online at:


No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...