Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Tuesday Tidbits: FACE MASK

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. I watched our virtual church service via YouTube. It was a good service. I’m glad I could “attend.”

I thought I’d let you know one of the things I’m doing in the midst of COVID-19 to stay healthy. Since we all need to go out in limited outings for necessary supplies, I was increasingly uncomfortable with my husband being around potential carriers as he goes out more than I do. He has only one good lung. Contracting this respiratory virus could be very devastating for him, so I wanted to give him some degree of protection. Nothing is 100% effective, but I wanted to increase our chances of staying healthy.
 

My mask, not hubby's. His is gray T-shirt material.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way medical or legal advice. This is what I found for myself and what I’m doing. Each person needs to do their own research and decide what will be best for them.
 

I’m sure you’ve seen various face masks and ways to create something at home. I tried folding a T-shirt (because it was handy and I didn’t have a bandana) and using elastic hair ties to fashion a “mask,” but it wasn’t very useful. It didn’t stay on well, didn’t cover well, had gaps, and fogged up my glasses. Result? I didn’t wear it.
 

In searching for a pattern to make the common pleated ones, I came across a few other designs I liked better. I found these three videos helpful for me in making my decision.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySsaOojEVM
This one by a retired medical person shows how to turn a dust mask into a surgical mask.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBbkn-g-vE
This woman is an MD. She and coworkers test four different designs of masks to find out the most effective designs.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6d3twpHwis
This physician’s wife shows how to make a mask from a new vacuum Hepa filter.
 

Each of these videos has a link to the pattern for the mask they show. You can follow the links to the patterns if you wish.



I opted for the pattern in video 1, but I used the pipe cleaner for the metal over the nose from video 3. I tried the floral wire from video 2, but it was uncomfortable on my nose. I might try going back to that mask and pad it.



I had a crib dust ruffle that I used the non-woven fabric that goes on the flat of the box springs. I used two layers, one with the front of the mask and one with the lining. I thought about using some of the non-woven interfacing I had, but decided I wanted to see what this other material would be like. I may try one with the interfacing at another time.



Rather than elastic (which I’m sure I could have found if I rummaged for a few minutes), I opted for ties. This way I could adjust it as I pleased and felt I could get a tighter fit than elastic. I used T-shirt fabric for the ties, mostly so I didn’t have to sew them along the length. I just cut long narrow strips. The T-shirt fabric doesn’t need to be hemmed. Also, it has a little stretch-and-give to make it a little more comfortable.

My husband used his to mow the yard. The lawnmower we have to use produces a lot of stinky exhaust that makes him nauseous and he feels ill for a couple of days. With the mask, he smelled nothing and felt great. When he went outside a little later without the mask, he could smell the fresh-mowed-grass aroma that he couldn’t smell while wearing the mask.



For us, these masks are winners. The one thing I would do different is try a piece of folded aluminum, disposable baking tray like in video 1, because the pipe cleaner isn’t as strong as I’d like. Though when I tie the mask, I get a good enough fit to not fog up my glasses.

I pray you all stay healthy and safe.



The Quilting Circle series: Historical romances stitched together with friendship and love.
COMING SOON!!! Book 3 THE DAMSEL’S INTENT releasing June 1, 2020
A hermit comes down from the mountains to snag a husband. #TheDamselsIntent
AND Book 1 will be coming out in audio format SOON!
FREE Preview: http://a.co/1riJfrA
A single mother steps out of the shadows of abuse and into the sunshine. But will a secret clouding her past cost her the man she loves? Get it here for FREE on Kindle Unlimited or Kindle to buy for $4.99 or paperback for $12.99
#TheWidowsPlight
FREE Preview: http://a.co/4UXlRN5
Can a patient love win her heart? Or will a forced marriage be the end of her romantic dreams? Get it here for FREE on Kindle Unlimited or Kindle to buy for $3.99 or paperback for $12.99
#TheDaughtersPredicament

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS s a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. Her 2018 titles include; "Holly and Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides CollectionCourting Her Amish HeartThe Widow’s PlightCourting Her Secret Heart , “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in The MISSAdventure Brides Collection , and Courting Her Prodigal Heart . 2019 titles include The Daughter's Predicament and "Bygones" in Thimbles and Threads. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-four years and two cats. She has three adult children and two incredibly adorable grandchildren. Find her online at:

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...