Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Tuesday Tidbits: NEW YEAR—NEW HAIR—NEW MASKS


With the new year, I decided to cut my long hair for a new do. When I say “I decided to cut”, I do mean I cut my hair. That might terrify some, but I grew up in a beauty salon. My mom was a hairdresser—or beautician back in the day. I remember rolling around the shop on the front-desk stool at age four or five.
 


I have been cutting my bangs since I went off to college nearly four decades ago. Well, maybe that’s not quite accurate, but I don’t count the botch job I did on my bangs age at six or seven. At college, my regular hairdresser (Mom) was two hours away, so I would cut my own bangs. It’s not too difficult to do. I started cutting my husband’s hair while in college as well, before we were married. I also cut many other college students’ hair who asked me to. I continued to cut my husband’s hair to the military requirement and then cut all of children’s hair.
 


This time, when I decided to cut my own hair, I knew I wanted to do more than trim up my bangs. I wanted to take significant length off the back. Cutting the back of one’s own hair is tricky at best and foolish at worst. Since I wasn’t going super short, this tricky fool figured she’d give it a try. If it turned out terrible, I could always pull it back in clips or headbands until it grew out again.
 


One of the reason I wanted it shorter was because it was getting in the way even when I had it braided down my back. It would get caught under my elbow when trying to get up, escape over my shoulder into whatever liquid was before me, and even got singed on a hot burner.
 


I wanted it shorter and with a few layers in front to avoid these tragedies.
 

I accomplished my goal!

The four sections I cut measured nearly 14 inches to 16 inches. I plan to donate them to Lock of Love.
 


I’m pleased with the way it turned out. I can curl it or let it be natural.



Time for new masks.

Since Christmas is over, I wanted some less-holiday face masks but still wintery. I also wanted to try a little different style for one.
 


The first is the same style as the Christmas ones I made, but I added small darts at the nose and chin.


For the next one, I wanted to try something a little different. I’ve seen people with masks that are a tube.


The one on the left is a child’s one I cut part of the back out of so it wouldn’t be so tight. The other is an adult one. (I got them both at the Dollar Tree at different times.) I wondered if I could simulate that style with a sock mask.
A cut here and a cut there . . .
 


Yay! It worked.

 

Instead of the ear slits at the sides, I cut slits at the top and bottom to go over my head and around my neck. Now, I can have it around my neck and pull it up over my mouth and nose when I go into a store and pull it back down when I return to my car. Easy on and off. I did put in a nose dart. The sides on my cheeks stuck out, so I put in darts there as well.

For my third one, I took the cutoff foot of one sock, removed the toe portion, cut it into a mask, and sewed a nose dart. I took the toe piece, cut out a heart, and hand stitched that on. I purposely used uneven stitches for interest and character. I love it!
 


I’m all set for the next couple of months. I can change them and wash them often.

Come spring, I hope to find some flowery socks or ones with fairies. Perhaps I might have another idea. I’ll just have to wait and see.
=0)

Now All 3 QUILTING CIRCLE Books are Available in Audio, as well as Kindle and paperback!

Book 1: THE WIDOW’S PLIGHT

A single mother steps out of the shadows of abuse and into the sunshine. But will a secret clouding her past cost her the man she loves?

LISTEN to chapter 1 here: https://youtu.be/qaUG-sN6Y_k

Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Widows-Plight-Audiobook/B088HJLH4J?qid=1607878778&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=2EJ4RS5E9G3AJ55XJ6T1

FREE Preview: http://a.co/1riJfrA

FREE on Kindle Unlimited: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV4XDLH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XaM.DbMKBGBG1

#TheWidowsPlight

 

Book 2: THE DAUGHTER’S PREDICAMENT (Placed 2nd in the Selah Awards)

As Isabelle’s romance prospects are turning in her favor, a family scandal derails her dreams. Can a patient love win her heart? Or will a forced marriage be the end of her romantic dreams?

LISTEN to chapter 1 here: https://youtu.be/fMWDBA4NFeo

Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Daughters-Predicament-Audiobook/B08GD3DNRH?qid=1607878923&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=BFNBV5BDHHTPP1576QH8

FREE Preview: http://a.co/4UXlRN5

FREE on Kindle Unlimited: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQZVNWY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_WcM.DbRBRKVQ9

#TheDaughtersPredicament


Book 3: THE DAMSEL'S INTENT 

Can Nicole learn to be enough of a lady to snag the handsome rancher? Nicole Waterby heads down the mountain to fetch herself a husband, not realizing women don’t wear trousers or carry a gun. She has a lot to learn. 

LISTEN to chapter 1 here: https://youtu.be/fqqq60WVZGk

Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Damsels-Intent-Audiobook/B08PVXT28F?qid=1607878644&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=PTVMYSYX8MMHZ9P1W2DR

FREE Preview: https://a.co/7xbqxVk

FREE on Kindle Unlimited: https://www.amazon.com/Damsels-Intent-Quilting-Circle-Book-ebook/dp/B089DTXDCN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=The+Damsel%27s+Intent&qid=1590863747&s=books&sr=1-2

#TheDamselsIntent #HistoricalRomance #FreeKU #KU #ChristianRomance

 

Book 4: THE DÉBUTANTE’S SECRET releases August 2021

When a fancy French lady steps off the train and into Deputy Montana’s arms, his simple life might not be enough anymore.

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance


MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. Her latest release is THE DAMSEL’S INTENT (The Quilting Circle Book 3). The Quilting Circle Book 4, The Dèbutante's Secret, will release August of 2021. Some of her other recent titles include; "Holly and Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides CollectionCourting Her Amish HeartThe Widow’s PlightCourting Her Secret Heart , “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in The MISSAdventure Brides Collection , and Courting Her Prodigal Heart . 2019 titles include The Daughter's Predicament and "Bygones" in Thimbles and Threads. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-six years and one cat. She has three adult children and three incredibly adorable grandchildren. Find her online at:

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...