Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Tuesday Tidbits: THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

I went to see THE GREATEST SHOWMAN on Sunday. I really enjoyed the movie.

The movie celebrates the birth of show business and depicts how P.T. Barnum started his famous circus. It tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation. It stars Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, and Zac Efron.


I liked how P.T. Barnum gave dignity to those who are different and who the rest of society looked down upon and brought them out of hiding. I don't know if this is how Barnum actually treated his workers, but I liked it being portrayed that way. When I watch a movie like this, I don't expect every aspect to be exactly historically accurate. In the end, this is entertainment. And sometimes, facts just aren't as entertaining.

Though I love musicals from back in their heyday, I'm generally leery of modern musicals. There is an art to them. Not every story should be a musical. Then if a story is turned into a musical because it lends itself well to one, doesn't mean it is done well.

I felt this story lent itself well to being a musical. After all, P.T. Barnum was a showman, and according to the title, The GREATEST Showman. They did a marvelous job of making this a musical. To tell this story without the theatrics of a musical would have made it less of a story. Barnum was promoting something that was over the top, so his story needed to be so as well.

I liked how various characters grew throughout the story. These people who had hidden in the shadows and afraid to show their faces gained confidence to be seen. 

I enjoyed this movie tremendously. I'm so glad I went to see it.


LATEST RELEASE:
COURTING HER AMISH HEART is a contemporary romance, the first in the Prodigal Daughters series.

A doctor or an Amish wife? She can choose to be only one…
Kathleen Yoder comes home after fourteen years in the Englisher world. Practicing medicine means sacrifice—no Amish man will want a doctor for a wife. Widowed Noah Lambright offers a cottage as her new clinic, seeing how much Kathleen’s skills can help their community. But as their friendship deepens, could love and family become more than a forbidden dream?

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...