Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Wordy Wednesday: FLUMMADIDDLE

I was looking up another word in my English Through the Ages reference book and stumbled across FLUMADIDDLE. I knew it had to be a blog post.

FLUMMADIDDLE (spelling variations: FLUMADIDDLE, FLUMDIDDLE, FLUMMERDIDDLE, FLUMMYDIDDLE, FUMDIDDLE)

Noun
1) something foolish or worthless; nonsense, trash
2) bauble, frill

This is a fun word to see, read, and say. “FLUMMADIDDLE” It makes me smile every time I read it or say it. “FLUMMADIDDLE”

“FLUMMADIDDLE”
“FLUMMADIDDLE”
“FLUMMADIDDLE”

Perhaps an alteration of FLUMMERY. Well, that’s a fun word too.
FLUMMERY-noun
1) a- soft jellied or porridge made with flour or meal
b- any of several sweet desserts
2) mummery; mumbo jumbo
3) empty compliments; nonsense

MUMMERY? Haven’t heard of that one either. Hmm. Would that be a nunnery for mummies? Nope. Nothing to do with mummies. Or nuns.
MUMMERY-noun
1) a performance by mummers
2) a ridiculous, hypocritical, or pretentious ceremony or performance

MUMMER-noun
1) a performer in a pantomime
2) one who goes merrymaking in disguise during festivals
I always thought it would be fun to be a MUMMER at a Renaissance festival. Now, I know what I would have been called. I would have been a MUMMER performing MUMMERY spouting FLUMMERY, and all would have been FLUMMADIDDLE.

Four words for the price of one. I never know where a word or idea will lead. This has been a fun and surprising little road to travel down. Like an unexpected gift on an average day. Can’t wait to use one or more of these in something. I think I have a character in my second Quilting Circle series novel who could use this word. Hmm. Interesting. (rubbing my hands together) I must go scheme.

Me thinks, perhaps, that this post has had a bit of FLUMMADIDDLE, FLUMMERY, and MUMMERY from a MUMMER all wrapped up in one.

I hope you smiled. I know I did. =0)

FLUMMADIDDLE!

Latest Release:

COURTING HER AMISH HEART is a contemporary romance, the first in the Prodigal Daughters series.

A doctor or an Amish wife? She can choose to be only one…
Kathleen Yoder comes home after fourteen years in the Englisher world. Practicing medicine means sacrifice—no Amish man will want a doctor for a wife. Widowed Noah Lambright offers a cottage as her new clinic, seeing how much Kathleen’s skills can help their community. But as their friendship deepens, could love and family become more than a forbidden dream?

#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:

Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...