Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wordy Wednesday: FLUMMOX

This word is what it sounds like to me.

verb
-perplex (someone) greatly; bewilder

Synonyms: baffle, perplex, puzzle, bewilder, mystify, bemuse, confuse, confound, discombobulate.

And as Phoebe would say, “Twirly.”

The dictionary on my computer dashboard has a reflection from Jean Strouse (no clue who she is) on the word FLUMMOX. “There is greater intensity and more imagination in FLUMMOX than in its near relatives, baffle, perplex, confuse; the comical sound of the word adds to its strength—though the same can be said for DISCOMBOBULATE. FLUMMOXED conjures up a figure in momentary speechless paralysis, whereas DISCOMBOBULATED suggests a human contraption coming all to pieces.”

I think Jean has summed up this word well. It does have a comical sound to it, and I think that’s why I like it. I also like DISCOMBOBULATE. That’s a fun one too. I also like her distinction between these two words.

I could have easily used FLUMMOX in yesterday’s post while pondering enigmas but didn’t want to foreshadow today’s post. I wanted it to be fresh, so you all could be FLUMMOXED with me. =0)

There have been times when I’ve been so FLUMMOXED that I became DISCOMBOBULATED and felt as though I was going all to pieces.




NEW RELEASES
“Holly & Ivy,”my #HistoricalRomance novella in A BOUQUET OF BRIDES COLLECTION, takes place in 1890, in Washington State. It’s about a young woman who accompanies her impetuous younger sister on her trip across the country to be a Christmas mail-order bride and is helped by a gallant stranger.  #BouquetOfBrides
COURTING HER AMISH HEART is a contemporary romance, the first in the Prodigal Daughters series.
A doctor or an Amish wife? She can choose to be only one…Kathleen Yoder comes home after fourteen years in the Englisher world. Practicing medicine means sacrifice—no Amish man will want a doctor for a wife. Widowed Noah Lambright offers a cottage as her new clinic, seeing how much Kathleen’s skills can help their community. But as their friendship deepens, could love and family become more than a forbidden dream?
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub




No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...