Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Wordy Wednesday: THE "WHILE" FAMILY

I’m attracted to words from days of yore. From those bygone days. From yesteryear. So I was contemplating ERSTWHILE, which brought me back to the root: WHILE, which then spiraled out of control.

WHILE (noun) - a period of time; (conjunction) - whereas, although, during that time; (adverb) - during which; (verb) as in “while away the time” - pass time in a leisurely manner.

Noun, conjunction, adverb, and verb. So basically, it can be used as almost any and every part of speech. I never realized it was so versatile.

Then comes WHILE’S almost identical twin siblings AWHILE & A WHILE. These give me trouble every time. Is it “awhile” or “a while”? The nuances are so subtle to me, I haven’t hit on something that straightens it out in my head. I’ve tried.

AWHILE (adverb) - for a short time.

A WHILE (used in a noun phrase) - for some time.

See? Those definitions are virtually the same. Some time could be a short time and vice versa. And how are they different from plain ol’ WHILE meaning a period of time? So they are all some sort of warpy time.

She paused AWHILE. He rested for A WHILE.

I don’t get the difference. To me they are the same, so why “spell” them differently.

Another sibling is MEANWHILE (adverb) - in the intervening time, at the same time. [He rested MEANWHILE the race went on.] [Let the bread toast, MEANWHILE slice the cheese.]

Then we have WHILE’S cousins.

WORTHWHILE/WORTH WHILE (adjective) - worth the time, money, or effort spent; of value or importance. When used attributively (before a noun) [It was a WORTHWHILE book.] and predicatively (stands alone and comes after a verb) [She thought the book was WORTHWHILE.] it can be spelled as one word.

BUT when coming after a verb it can also be spelled as two words.

Why? Why have two choices in one instance when one can be used in both cases? [She didn’t think the two choices were WORTHWHILE.] -OR- [She didn’t think the the two choices were WORTH WHILE.]

Now back to my original word, ERSTWHILE (adjective) - former; (adverb) - formerly. Not quite as interesting in light of the ERSTWHILE variations.

Moving on to another cousin. WHILST (conjunction or adverb) - whiles + t means while. The usage is chiefly British and is considered formal and literary.

And one of my favorite WHILES: WHILE AWAY (verb) - pass time in a leisurely manner.

So who didn’t hear the Scarecrow from Wizard of OZ singing this word? If you didn’t, you are much younger than me and your theatrical education is severely lacking. If you did, that song will be skipping around in your head all day. You are very welcome.

I must go “confferin’ with the flowers.”

But wait. I need to find my brain first.

I left it around here someplace.

=0)



NEW RELEASES
“Holly & Ivy,”my #HistoricalRomance novella in A BOUQUET OF BRIDES COLLECTION, takes place in 1890, in Washington State. It’s about a young woman who accompanies her impetuous younger sister on her trip across the country to be a Christmas mail-order bride and is helped by a gallant stranger.  #BouquetOfBrides
COURTING HER AMISH HEART is a contemporary romance, the first in the Prodigal Daughters series.
A doctor or an Amish wife? She can choose to be only one…Kathleen Yoder comes home after fourteen years in the Englisher world. Practicing medicine means sacrifice—no Amish man will want a doctor for a wife. Widowed Noah Lambright offers a cottage as her new clinic, seeing how much Kathleen’s skills can help their community. But as their friendship deepens, could love and family become more than a forbidden dream?
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is a bestselling, award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub




No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...