Friday, January 5, 2018

Patrick O’Donnell-hero in A Song for Rose

Hi everyone.

I’m Suzanne Norquist, author of “A Song for Rose” in A Bouquet of Brides collection. If you haven’t heard of me, it’s because I’m a debut author. I’m honored to be in a collection with so many talented multi-published authors.

Patrick O’Donnell is the hero of my story. I borrowed the name Patrick from my son-in-law. It’s his middle name. He was not yet engaged to my daughter at the time I contracted this story. Wouldn’t it have been awkward if she had married someone else? I would have pretended I came up with the name another way. At least, it isn’t his first name.

In my story, Patrick manages the opera house in a historic mining town. He came from back east and knows the opera scene. He used to sing tenor, but the struggle to always be good enough for the stage wore him down. As the manager, he can hide from the limelight and criticism that comes with life in the public eye.

My daughter and son-in-law shared stories with me about opera auditions and competitions. My daughter described the experience of opening her mouth to hit the high note in a competition and no sound came out. She once auditioned right after the winner of a prestigious competition psyched her out.

I don’t show this audition process in “A Song for Rose,” but it’s part of what shaped Patrick’s character. It’s one reason he doesn’t want to see Rose join an opera company.

On a side note, often the hero of an opera sings tenor, so Patrick is a tenor. When my daughter met her husband, he sang tenor—the perfect hero.  Since then, my son-in-law switched to baritone and has performed all villain roles. I’m not sure I want to be the mother-in-law to the villain. Thankfully, in real-life he is still a soft-hearted tenor hero.

Find Patrick’s story in “A Song for Rose” in a Bouquet of Brides Collection.


Suzanne Norquist explores past and present through story.

Everything fascinates her, so she never settled on a career. She has worked as a sales clerk, chemist, professor, financial analyst, and even earned a doctorate in economics. As an author, she experiences different worlds without starting a new career every time. Research feeds her curiosity, and she shares the adventure with her readers.

She lives in Colorado with her mining engineer husband and has two grown children. When not writing, she explores the mountains, hikes, and attends kickboxing class.

She authors a blog entitled, Ponderings of a BBQ P.h.D. Sign up to receive her blog and receive a free five-day devotion.

Learn more at suzannenorquist.com.

Or visit her Facebook Page.

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...