Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tuesday Tidbits: The Trick to YouTube

I love YouTube. I do a lot of research via YouTube.

Some of the things I've researched are:
How to naturally finish wood. I didn't want to have my character use lacquer or varnish, so in part of my research, I watched videos on linseed oil and beeswax.
How to harness a horse. When writing historical stories and Amish ones, I need to know how to harness a horse and part the different parts of all that stuff is called.
How to make paper
Old T-shirt hacks
Sharpie tie-dye
How to paint a dragon eye

The list goes on and on and on and on . . .

Most recently, I researched how to refinish kitchen countertops and easy to install backsplashes to update the kitchen of the condo we're in. Here are some links to ones I want to try:
Yes, I watch cat videos on there too. They are soooooo cute! They make me smile, and I'm all for things that make me smile.

I can spend hours and hours on YouTube. It's my black hole. I could get lost in there for days and not realize it. But I have found a trick.

Did you know YouTube videos and can be watched at faster speeds. When gleaning information, I like to watch them at 2x the speed to see if they have the information I want or need. I’m impatient when people talk slower than I want to listen. If they are what I want, I can watch them more slowly. To watch at a faster speed, click on the gear in the lower right of the viewing screen. Click on speed and you can speed it up to 1.25x, 1.5x, or 2x the speed.

Happy YouTube-ing. Don't get lost there for too long. =0)


“Holly & Ivy,” my #HistoricalRomance novella in A #BouquetOfBrides, takes place
in 1890, in Washington State. It’s about a young woman who accompanies her impetuous younger sister on her trip across the country to be a Christmas mail-order bride and is helped by a gallant stranger. 

#BouquetOfBrides
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is an award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...