Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Wordy Wednesday: KERFUFFLE

Noun, informal
a disturbance or commotion typically caused by a dispute or conflict

Alternate spellings: curfuffle, kafuffle, gefuffle

I like the way this word sounds and rolls off the tongue, kerfuffle.

It almost sounds like I should say, "God bless you" to someone who says it.

I just find it to be a fun word, and I’m so excited I could use kerfuffle in a current synopsis I’m working on. I have a small group of women getting off a train in 1870 in a town full of men. The men are so excited to see women, that they crowd and push to get a gander at them. In this kerfuffle, my heroine shoots her gun in the air to stop the chaos. I plan to use kerfuffle in the story as well if it gets contracted.

The Evolution of kerfuffle from the online version of the Merriam Webster Dictionary
Fuffle was first used in Scottish English, as early as the 16th century, as a verb meaning "to dishevel." The addition of the prefix car- (possibly derived from a Scottish Gaelic word meaning "wrong" or "awkward") didn't change the meaning of the word considerably. In the 19th century carfuffle, with its variant curfuffle, became a noun, and in the 20th century it was embraced by a broader population of English speakers and standardized to kerfuffle. There is some dispute among language historians over how the altered spelling came to be favored. One theory holds that it might have been influenced by imitative words like kerplunk, where the syllable ker- is simply added for emphasis.


“Holly & Ivy,” my #HistoricalRomance novella in A #BouquetOfBrides, takes place
in 1890, in Washington State. It’s about a young woman who accompanies her impetuous younger sister on her trip across the country to be a Christmas mail-order bride and is helped by a gallant stranger. 

#BouquetOfBrides
#ChristianRomance #HistoricalRomance #Romance

MARY DAVIS is an award-winning novelist of over two dozen titles in both historical and contemporary themes. She has five titles releasing in 2018; "Holly & Ivy" in A Bouquet of Brides Collection in January 2018, Courting Her Amish Heart in March 2018, The Widow’s Plight in July 2018, Courting Her Secret Heart September 2018, & “Zola’s Cross-Country Adventure” in MISSAdventure Brides Collection in December 2018. She is a member of ACFW and active in critique groups.
Mary lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband of over thirty-three years and two cats. She has three adult children and one incredibly adorable grandchild. Find her online at:
Newsletter          Blog          FB          FB Readers Group          Pinterest          Amazon          GoodReads          FictionFinder          BookBub

-->

No comments:

Tuesday Tidbits: GARDEN NEWS & REMINDER

Once again, I’m going to try to grow a vegetable/fruit garden. I think I’m a glutton for punishment, but I was excited that my feeble attemp...